favorite recipe websites

183 posts
here are a few of my go-to sites for food inspiration:

The Cooking Thesaurus
food geek that i am, this is a bookmark that i refer to often for looking up unfamiliar food terms - like what in the world is an aubergine (it's an eggplant) - or looking for food substitutions in the event that you don't have sorrel (spinach+lemon zest).

Joy of Baking
has the sort of encyclopedic info that my thirsty mind loves. even has substitutions for various baking ingredients like baking powder (1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar + 1/4 tsp cornstarch).

Food Wishes
Chef John has a very down-to-earth personality and his food videos are straightforward, funny and for a chef who teaches at culinary academies, he's not too hung up on the "proper" way of cooking. just looking for good results like sumptuously flavored food.

Cook Think
more of a tool that must use some sort of algorithm to a) create meals by using 1 recipe as a jump off point to b) select a recipe for you when you input specifications like ingredients or moods...don't ask, just check it out.

Free Rice
expand your mind and help end hunger. take mini-tests on vocabulary, math, art, language, geography and even chemistry; for each correct answer, you will have contributed rice to fight hunger. so okay this isn't really about cooking but it's a good cause and gets rather addictive.

so what are yours?

36 posts
I'm a food blog reader. I like the parade of food that other people are cooking. I can scroll through my Google feedreader and bookmark the ones that appeal to me (or add them right to WGE if I feel pretty certain I will cook them). I read a LOT of blogs, but these are some of my favs for recipes:

Bitten: Mark Bittman's NYT Blog
Coconut & Lime
Everybody Likes Sandwiches
The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Briciole
Smitten Kitchen
White on Rice Couple

I also skim through feeds from SeriousEats.com and SlashFood.com. These two can really fill up your feedreader quickly, with goofy food "chatter", but they are also full of recipe gems. I like the summaries of national newspaper food sections, like This Weekend in NYTimes Food News - it lets me skim the newspaper food sections without reading all those papers!

12 posts
I really like Mark Bitten. He is a very good chef.

One website I really like to look at is Culinary Concoctions by Peabody. She has made some fabulous desserts. I also like to look at the photo's she takes of her food.

Epicurious.com is also a great place to find recipes. It collects all the recipes from Gourmet Magazine as well as bon appetit.

Jason

17 posts
I'm addicted to the Noble Pig. This lady shows step-by-step instructions which can help a beginner how to cook. More advanced chefs can just scroll down to the actual recipe. Have fun!

28 posts
I'm addicted to iTunes cooking podcasts, specifically Working Class Foodies, which shows step-by-step instructions for interesting recipes all under $8 a person, and has really great shots of food cooking and being prepared. Another personal favorite, while not as artistically advanced, is Korean Cooking with Maanchi.

I also really like The Food in my Beard... yum. Great recipes there too!