New Profile Pages

204 posts
We’ve been working on a better page for member profiles. We aren’t completely finished yet, but there’s enough to start getting your feedback. We are attempting to create a central place for you to summarize your account for you or others to see when they click on your username throughout the website.

If you’re signed in, you can click on the Home link at the top left to go directly to the new page. Try it out and let us know what you think. And what else needs to be shown here.

183 posts
looks very nice! is INFO where we'll be able to input our "About me" schpiel?

immediate first thoughts:
1. make Jump to random member more prominent as it almost just disappears. perhaps make a a large arrow or advance symbol?

2. vaguely recall (or perhaps it was just in my mind) the previous Member Profile allowed switching from Recent recipes to Popular recipes. is that possible for this profile section, too?

3. switching where Recipes are now to either below Stats or above Latest Update. think that should be the main focus. when there are Updates with multiple responses, it tends to push the recipes down out of sight. if you were to look at Carolyn Beck's profile, you can see that the conversation that we had shoved her recipe down to the point that you can no longer see the recipes in certain window configurations.
another option would be to collapse the messages or constrain them to certain parameters so that the Recipe list will at least be seen initially.

4. also, have Recent Comments start with most recent first for consistency and it just makes more sense that way, IMHO.

thanks Dave!

204 posts
Thanks Eunice. We've made the changes you suggested.

And yes, INFO is where you'll be able to enter some "bio" information about yourself. We're not sure what will specifically go in that area yet. Have any ideas?

183 posts
1. region? to facilitate like-minded cooks who want to get together
2. cooking level?
3. random questions about cooking like:
- what do you listen to while cooking (music, NPR, talk radio, silence...)?
- what cooking equipment(s) can you not do without?
- who inspires your meals?
- your go-to dish for:
- rainy days
- sick days
- when you eat alone or with your partner
- when you're feeling naughty
- any day
- what or who's your favorite cooking show/celebrity or can you not stand?
- which fruit/vegetable/Hostess snack cake would you be?
4. or maybe just a general self-written bio to start out with for now

183 posts
could you add a star on the Member Profile page so members can be favorited.

also, this has more to do with the Settings but just wondering why the password and user name only show for signing on but not when you try to access your Personal Account.

thank you

183 posts
this might be complicated with the Updates Wall but is it possible to enable a way for people to just post comments/questions to the wall w/o responding to an update. so in Latest Updates have a comment button just so anyone can post a remark or pose a question to the Member Profile. hope that makes sense.

204 posts
The Friend Star is now on the profile page. Thanks for pointing that out.

just wondering why the password and user name only show for signing on but not when you try to access your Personal Account

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this. Maybe explain more.

enable a way for people to just post comments/questions to the wall w/o responding to an update

We are still building out the profile area. We want to provide a way to post links and pictures as well as fill out the Info tab. I think standalone comments would be good too. We'll consider that.

Thanks for the feedback.

183 posts
i'll email a screenshot of the Personal Account Info page to better demonstrate what i mean. perhaps you plan to put the Password and User Name info somewhere else...

17 posts
I really like the new profile pages, but I second the posting to someones profile without responding. Its feels weird to just say hi or say something unrelated to what has been said in their status :(

183 posts
hehe...think Tyler just wants to beat me on my record of posting as many comments as possible.

another thought about the Posting Comments to Profiles: is there a way for private messages to be posted? just thought that if there were family/friends who wanted to be able to communicate with a member without involving everyone else, perhaps that could be an option. what does everyone else think?

17 posts
I think you have a plethora of good ideas. and that you are right about the first statement. :)

204 posts
When you visit someone's profile, click on their "Posts" tab and you now have the opportunity to post a message to another member. Try it our and see if it works ok for you. The posts are public and show up on the "Posts" tab only. You will also get an email when someone posts a message to you.

183 posts
i second what Tyler mentioned about adding recent posts to the summary somehow. also, is it possible for members Posting comments to receive an email when responded to so that a constant dialogue can be kept up? or similar to what happens in Facebook where one member can respond to the original Poster on the original Poster's Wall? hope that's clear what i'm getting at.

and one more separate issue that's sorta' relevant, if i make a Post to the Updates, can i not receive an email saying that i've made a post?

thanks Dave!

204 posts
i second what Tyler mentioned about adding recent posts to the summary somehow.

I can't seem to find what Tyler mentioned. Can you tell me?

is it possible for members Posting comments to receive an email when responded to so that a constant dialogue can be kept up

We'll add that.

can i not receive an email saying that i've made a post

You shouldn't be getting emails when you make a post. Are you sure you are?

204 posts
Ah. You were getting an email when you commented on your own Post. Fixed. Thanks

183 posts
"i second what Tyler mentioned about adding recent posts to the summary somehow."

I can't seem to find what Tyler mentioned. Can you tell me?

it's on his Posts tab on his summary page when i poked him and his response after your response was "That's true I don't mind, but this post doesn't show up in my summary page. That would be a neat feature :)"

17 posts
Dave: to clarify, when I update my status and people comment on it, I can see it on my default summary page. But when I got sent a message by both you and Eunice it didn't show up on the same page. I had to click and go to the posts page.

204 posts
Thanks Tyler. We've adjusted for that now and hoping it makes for a better experience. let me know if it falls short.

17 posts
I like actually being part of a site. Its fun! Do we get paid soon? :P