1. Begin by poaching the chicken legs. Other cuts of chicken can be used if necessary.
2. In a medium pot, barely cover the chicken with salted water, add a few
grinds of black pepper and simmer on low, partially covered with a lid,
for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover completely and let cool in
the liquid for 10 minutes, or until they can handled easily. Remove the
skin, and pull the meat from the legs in bite sized pieces.
3. Heat the chicken stock in a soup pot to a
simmer. Add the orzo to the water and
cook for 10 minutes, still at a simmer. Ensure that the pasta is fully
4. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with a fork until they are frothy and add the
juice of 1 and 1/2 of the lemons. Reserve the other half of lemon for
5. To the eggs, add a tablespoon of the hot chicken broth, beating it in
quickly. This will "temper" the eggs. Repeat with two more
tablespoons of broth.
6. With the soup off the heat, add the egg mixture to the pot, stirring all the while. Place back on a warm burner, but Do not bring the soup to a boil after this point, or the eggs will scramble.
7. Add the poached chicken, warm on very low and correct for salt and pepper. Garnish the soup with slices of lemon and enjoy!