I happened to come across from doing a Google images search for something unrelated and it looked amazing.
According to the writer, this is a classic Russian cake that is super easy to put together. All you do is slice the apples, beat the eggs with sugar and flour, pour the batter on top of the apples and you are good to go
1. Peel and core the apples. Quarter them then slice (not to thick and not to thin) each quarter crosswise.
2. Butter the bottom and the sides of a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan (you can use a regular pan, but springform pan is preferred for easier unmolding)
3. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on the bottom of the pan.
4. Arrange the apples on top. You do not have to arrange them accurately. Just toss them in there and level with your hands. If using cinnamon, sprinkle it on the apples.
5. Preheat the oven to 350F
6. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale yellow. The more you beat, the more the cake will rise and the softer it will be. Add the vanilla extract or vanillin powder and flour. Beat until well blended.
7. Pour the batter all over the apples, to distribute evenly. Do not mix.
8. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 50 minutes-1 hour, or until the top is golden. Let cool slightly, then unmold. Sift some powdered sugar on top. Serve warm with ice cream, or at room temperature with a cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy!