Roasted vegetable soup with sundried tomato pesto is the perfect dish to warm you up on a chilly day. This hearty soup combines the rich flavors of roasted vegetables with the tangy taste of sundried tomato pesto for a delightful culinary experience. In this article, we will guide you through a step-by-step recipe to create this delicious soup. The recipe is easy to follow and will surely impress your friends and family.
For the Roasted Vegetables
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Sundried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Roasting the Vegetables
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped carrots, onion, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and minced garlic.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to ensure even coating.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until they are tender and slightly caramelized. Make sure to stir the vegetables halfway through the roasting time.
Preparing the Sundried Tomato Pesto
- In a food processor, combine the sundried tomatoes, basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and garlic.
- Pulse the mixture until it reaches a coarse texture.
- While the food processor is running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assembling the Soup
- In a large pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add the roasted vegetables to the pot and simmer for 5-7 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- If desired, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a blender and puree in batches, being cautious of the hot liquid.
- Stir in the sundried tomato pesto, making sure it is well incorporated.
- If you prefer a creamier soup, stir in the heavy cream.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
Serving and Garnishing
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh basil and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve the soup with crusty bread or a side salad for a complete and satisfying meal.
This roasted vegetable soup with sundried tomato pesto recipe is a delicious and comforting dish that will warm you up on even the coldest days. The combination of the roasted vegetables and the tangy pesto creates a unique flavor that will have your family asking for seconds. Give this easy recipe a try, and enjoy the delightful flavors of this heartwarming soup.