Blooming cinnamon bread is a delightful and visually stunning twist on the traditional cinnamon roll. With its unique presentation and scrumptious taste, this recipe is perfect for weekend brunches, holiday gatherings, or simply as a sweet treat to enjoy with family and friends. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to create this show-stopping dessert, from preparing the dough to adding the final touches.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Glaze (optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1: Prepare the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Stir to combine.
- Add the warm milk, melted butter, and lightly beaten egg to the dry ingredients. Mix well until a soft dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
Step 2: Prepare the Filling
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and vanilla extract until smooth and well-combined.
Step 3: Assemble the Blooming Cinnamon Bread
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pan.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out into a 12×18 inch (30×45 cm) rectangle.
- Spread the cinnamon filling evenly across the surface of the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch (1 cm) border around the edges.
- Starting at one of the longer edges, tightly roll up the dough to form a log. Pinch the seam to seal it closed.
- Using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut the log in half lengthwise, leaving one end intact. Carefully twist the two halves together, with the cut sides facing up.
- Shape the twisted dough into a circle, pinching the ends together to form a ring. Transfer the ring to the prepared cake pan.
- Cover the pan with a clean cloth and let the dough rise for an additional 30 minutes.
Step 4: Bake and Glaze
- Bake the blooming cinnamon bread in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
Step 5: Finishing Touches
- Once the blooming cinnamon bread has cooled, drizzle the glaze evenly over the top. You can use a spoon or a piping bag to create a beautiful presentation.
- Allow the glaze to set for a few minutes before slicing and serving. This bread is best enjoyed fresh, but you can store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
This blooming cinnamon bread recipe is a delightful and eye-catching variation of the traditional cinnamon roll. With its intricate design and mouthwatering flavors, it’s sure to impress your guests and satisfy your sweet tooth. Don’t be intimidated by the steps involved; once you’ve mastered the technique, you’ll be able to whip up this delicious treat with ease. Happy baking!