For when you feel like scooping up field mice and bopping them on the head; a great recipe to make with children.
5 fat field mice (or 8 svelte church mice) **
1 cup macaroni
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves minced garlic, or more to taste
1 medium can crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
1. Boil the macaroni for 10 minutes; drain.
2. While the macaroni is cooking, fry the field mice and render the fat down. (** If for some reason you are too slow to catch any mice, I suppose you could subsitute Italian sausages.) Grease a casserole dish with some of the rendered fat, then layer the bottom of the dish with half of the cooked macaroni.
3. Add onions, garlic, a liberal sprinkling of the hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Nestle the fried mice in the casserole dish. Cover with the remaining macaroni and sprinkle the top with cracker crumbs.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until the mice are cooked through.
Original recipe was from Mary Apostol’s (Donna Saxon’s daughter) gift to Mom Schmidt: “Good Friends, Good Food – Friends of the Pleasant Valley Free Library” Cookbook.* * “‘Stolen’ from the Family Favorites Cookbook by Our Savior Lutheran Church, Fishkill
|Meal Dinner||Dish Main Dish|